mom: Hunter what gift could you give Jesus this year?
Hunter: (without a moments pause) Faith
mom: Wow, Hunter good answer.
Megan: (thinking his answer was not really what he should say) my gift is to be nice to my sweet mommy
mom: that is sweet Megan. (She was sure her answer was the best)
I was just so amazed that he is really paying attention to his Sunday school lessons and wants to have faith. Without faith there is no hope and I am glad he is learning to hope.
So I took only three pictures this year on Christmas morning. I feel like I am behind the camera and the camcorder every year and I watch the excitement through a small LCD screen. I wanted the whole picture this year so there is not much to show anyone. However my memories are vivid and I think I may continue to watch with unobstructed views.
When things were all said and done, a small pile of wrapping paper was covering the floor and there were very happy children. Jerry of course wanted to through each paper away as it was unwrapped, to keep things neat and tidy, but I would not have it. It needs to be messy and fun, I am sure his OCD was kicking in but I won.
Hunter and Megan found these jingle antlers that made me crazy in the car. Thankfully Megan lost hers the first day. We did the Twelve Days of Christmas to a sweet family. Every day for the 12 days before Christmas you secretly leave them a small gift. The kids loved dropping off the gift and then bolting through the backyard, through the trees and over a hill to get to the car; almost always in the dark. Sweet Megan was so cute trying to run through that dark back yard and so proud when she made it. Hunter would open the door and yell. Run Megan! Not too sure how secret that makes it but I think they still don't know it was us and the kids just loved sharing with another family this year. My suggestion to anyone who wants to try it is to find all 12 gifts at once so when the day is almost over and the kids say, "are we doing the mission tonight" and you forgot to get something, it won't be as stressful.
This family picture is missing me because I was looking scary and bloated from some strong steroid medicine that I was on. I swear I gained 5 pounds in two days! I was evil mean to everyone and Jerry handed me some Viacadin and said, "please just go to sleep". Of course I yelled at him as I climbed the stairs and then fell fast to sleep. I stopped those meds that next day, I can take the pain over the evil mommy.
6 comments:
Mary got the IPod this year...maybe it is a girl thing for kids... it was by far her favorite gift. the 12 days of Christmas is so much fun. The very best Christmas memories I have from my childhood were the ones of those daily knock and runs and trying real hard to not get caught. When the other family is doing everything they can to catch ya!
I too agree that the month went by WAY too fast. So rushed, and I hate that. We also tried to have a few family things together to bring the spirit of the season into our hearts and home. You all are a sweet family and I am grateful to know you.
Don't feel bad about not having lots of pictures. I took maybe 5 all day! I too felt bad, but I too also want to remember (without having to look at something). I think the only person who might be shocked is Lorien, the queen of picture taking. (Literally, she's awesome!)
Glad to hear that you had such a good Christmas!!
Hi, Amy!!! I found your blog through Charlyce's. So great to "see" you here! Your family is still as gorgeous as ever and I loved your post. We had a VERY small Christmas. Our church challenged us to give relational gifts... to make Family Fun Night and Date Night a priority, for example. Hugh also gave me a coupon for 3 hours a week (minimum) to do whatever I want guilt-free (can you say quilt?!). I loved it! Sorry to have lost touch... Lisa Sexton
I bet your kids will have fond memories of doing the 12 days of Christmas. I loved your thoughts at the end of the post. I also love the new picture of Megan on the sidebar.
Lisa, do you have a blog? I hate that we lost touch too. Your gifts were great, who couldn't use more guilt free nights!
Post a Comment