Since this is my story (for posterity) I will record that I did graduate summa cum laude (4.0 GPA) which was my goal and third greatest achievement in my life thus far. I have learned so much these past four years at Park. I know with a little more education and training I will be able to counsel and help others change their lives.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
16 Years
So the story begins in 1993 and I am a student at the University of Buffalo with 6 credits from high school (I graduated when they just started offering college courses, we were test subjects). Two years of fully loaded class schedules, my sorority Alpha Gamma Delta, and one crazy car accident later and I leave school for the military. Oh yea, I also had 42 credits towards my degree (which changed three times in those two years). In the AF I attend college off an on at Boise State, Pima College and then finally Park University. At Park I only changed majors once, from Criminal Justice to Social Psychology. I figured I might learn what is wrong with my own psyche as well as maybe help others along the way. Well 4 long years went by and I finally finished. The man below had a major part in this endeavor of which I am truly grateful.
One night I was angry because he was being deployed once again and I had wanted to start going back to school. He told me if I wanted to do it I would find a way and the kids should not be a road block (easy for him to say since I was there to watch them while he was in school). However, I took one class at a time, got a babysitter and then eventually took all online courses.
Anyone who has done online school knows it is not easy and takes a great deal of commitment and discipline; both things I learned in the military. I love school so it was wonderful to be back learning; feeling like I know more than how to make food for the family. I was in my element.

Since this is my story (for posterity) I will record that I did graduate summa cum laude (4.0 GPA) which was my goal and third greatest achievement in my life thus far. I have learned so much these past four years at Park. I know with a little more education and training I will be able to counsel and help others change their lives.
To everyone that supported me (the list is long) I say thank you for everything. It is something that a mom can go back and get the education she desires and still be a good mother to her family. Jerry says only on big paper and finals weeks was I slacking, though he was always right next to me doing anything I needed. I love my sweet husband I know that he is the reason I finished. Sixteen years is a long time but taking the walk was so worth every minute of it. "Pomp and Circumstance" was finally playing for me and I just was overwhelmed with the idea that I did something worth acknowledging. So many people get their degrees and it seems the common thing to do but I just never thought it would finally be my turn. It is everything I wanted it to be and I am grateful the Lord allowed me the opportunity to follow this path in my life.
Since this is my story (for posterity) I will record that I did graduate summa cum laude (4.0 GPA) which was my goal and third greatest achievement in my life thus far. I have learned so much these past four years at Park. I know with a little more education and training I will be able to counsel and help others change their lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Wow, CONGRADULATIONS!!! That is so awesome to gradute with a 4.0, I know I couldn't do that... Sounds like you learned a lot along the way too, and not just in school :). Congrats again!!!
Aw, so sweet. You are amazing. I'm so proud of you! And you can practice on me anytime you want lol.
Congratulations! That is fantastic!
Lorien, if I diagnose you then I will actually be able to diagnose myself- win win situation.
I love this post! I am SOOO proud of you! And you don't have to just record that 4.0 for posterity. Shout it out! After 16 years you deserve it.
I think you should be able to count clinical hours for all the practice you get with us! When do you start charging??
So proud of you! It never matters how long the journey takes all that matters is that you get where you are going! You are such an example greatness...your kids are so lucky to have been there to watch you walk. You are awesome!
Way to go Amy!!! Congrats! That is such an accomplishment. I think school would be so challenging with little kids. I'm curious, are you going to get your masters? My Bachelors degree is in Psychology too. I've thought about going back to get my masters, but I just don't know if I have it in me to do school again.
You are amazing!! Thanks for allowing us to share your special weekend with you.
congratulations. i always admire mom's like you. i know it's not easy but you made it with honors. hats off to you!
pam p. :-)
Post a Comment