Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Just Draw Blood!
So we are on vacation, OK, we are in Ohio visiting family- not really a vacation. Number one crappy thing on vacation is to have a sick child. Yes, my sweet Hunter has been on deaths doorstep for almost a week. After the camping trip on Wed. he started feeling sick. He has had a fever of 102 daily with spikes at high at 103.5. Of course being the hypochondriac that I am, I am thinking lime disease or West Nile (lots of mosquito bites even with Jen's constant spraying of repellent). I take him to the Urgent care clinic and they say he is too sick and needs to go to the ER. So I am crying in the car, so is he, and praying out loud that he will live through the long drive to the ER. Praise the Lord, Hunter is a new kid once we hit the ER. However, I know he is sick so we proceed. The nurse practitioner does the x-ray, strep test, ears and all that jazz, nothing is wrong! I ask her to please draw blood, she says, "we don't' draw blood on children over 3", WHAT? Seriously? So we leave there with instructions to come back in two days if he isn't better. So he fevers for two more days, crying, headaches, diarrhea, no eating, sleeping none stop- the whole shebang. I take him to the Urgent care Monday morning, fever 102, no medicine this time, it just makes him better long enough for them to think I am over reacting. The doctor can't find anything wrong but once again I ask for a blood test and he says, "we don't usually draw blood on children". So two stupid doctors prefer to send home my 5 day fevering child with no conclusions but refuse to draw blood- what the! I had him get another blessing last night and his fever broke today. He however now has a head cold and has slept about 10 hours today. My hope is that it is viral and it will end soon, we do have a wedding this weekend. Thanks for listening to my rant, but seriously who would it have hurt (besides Hunter's arm) to draw some blood?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I feel your pain Amy. How crazy if you are the mom requesting a blood sample. It is a good thing for blessing.
Poor Hunter, I am sorry to hear your vacation has been so stressful. Jerry kept an eye on the twins for a few min. for me Sunday when Brian was getting the other kids in the van and I went to pay tithing. He said that Hunter was sick but I had no idea how sick he had been. I am glad the fever broke. try to enjoy the rest of your vacation.
What! I cannot believe that they wouldn't do any real tests on him. Although it does sound exactly like what everyone has been going to the ER with still... I think at this point I would have been demanding meningitis tests, etc, etc. You poor thing. I hope he gets better quickly and never underestimate the power of a blessing. Especially after a mom has done all that she can do. ((hugs)) to you and hope the rest of your vacation goes smoothly.
Yikes! I can't believe they wouldn't do a blood draw. Not to be an alarmist, but I would be worried about Lyme disease, given where we live and that he had been camping just before symptoms started. When Carter got Lyme, we never even saw a tick and he had really bad flu-type symptoms for a week, seemed to get better, and then developed the rash and joint pain after that. But it could just be what's been going around, like Lorien said. All the same, I'd be watching carefully (as if you needed me to tell you this).
Hope he feels better soon!
Thanks guys, Jerry was very concered it was Lyme disease. Even though is better today,he is still sleeping a lot and slightly lathargic. I just pray no one else gets it,I want to ride roller coasters next week!
What a rotten week! I would be right there with you worrying about limes disease. I think I checked my kids for ticks about 3 times!
I do have to tell you that it has definately been going around. They've been calling it a "big kid fever virus"....whatever! One of our friends' son had a fever for five days and they finally checked him for limes disease...nothing.
They still could have just checked.....dorks
I hope he gets feeling better soon. You definitely can't miss the roller coasters!!!
oh by the way, I guess I can't spell. I meant LYMES disease...sorry
there definitely has been something going around. Mary was sick for 3 days with a low grade fever and body aches. I was about to make an appointment at the doctors when she all of a sudden she was better. Then I got sick Wednesday. I had a fever of 102 man I wanted to cry I felt so bad. I could not get out of bed so the kids basically had their way with the house. I was over my fever in about 24 hours thank goodness it was rough!
That is so insane! I swear had it been me I so would have made a scene~ But then again you all know me :) I believe that kinda goes without saying...lol (I will miss you girls while on vaca...dont have too much fun without me...If you are all good I may bring you back something sweet)
Post a Comment