Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Flying Rituals

So we made it back safe from Arizona! Before every flight I say a quick prayer and then as we enter the plane we have to pat the plane a few times for good luck. I then look down the side of the plane to be sure it looks like it is safe and then I get on. Megan now copies my routine and wonders why no one else pats the plane. As she stated this fact a lady in front of us turned around and said that she would do anything to help give the plane good luck and so she patted it too. Megan thought that was cool.

So before I left Ana told me to just remember the Lord was in control and I needed to stop worrying. So as I walking down the gate way I just said, "The Lord is in control" and had the most amazing feeling of safety and love. I had clarity that the Lord loved me and He did understand my fear but that is was not necessary. I flew without one ounce of fear, even when it got bumpy. I just knew that He was calming my mind, constantly, and that it was OK.

On the scientific side, I was reading my homework on the plane and came across this understanding from a therapist, "the only people who have difficulties with fear are those that have to be in control. If you feel you have to be in control, there's so much you have to be afraid of because there are so many things that can go wrong." I am a control person, I always need to feel like I am in control of myself and what happens to me. However, I actually know that I have very little control over my life and so I either will live in fear or I can take courage and live, despite the knowledge of my inability to to control what happens to me. Though I don't think I will ever love flying, I know think I can do it without hyperventilating every time I know we have to fly. (Though I will always pat the plane for good luck, just in case;-)

5 comments:

Lórien said...

Aw, I'm so glad that you were able to fly even once without fear. I still waver every now and then but I cherish those flights that are calm and still (inside).

kidding...right? said...

Amy,
I love the pictures of Megan. She is so cute!
It was good for me to read this post. I have control issues and I feel like you gave me some words of wisdom.
I hope you had fun in AZ.
Charlyce

Chris said...

control...fear...I dont know what you are talking about!

where's my migraine medication?

Jueneta said...

Great job on having a successful flight.

I moved to Utah. The temple is under construction in Draper.

laura said...

Hey it was so good to see you! I am totally going to give that advice to Dallas because he is afraid of flying, as well as his dad who won't even go on a plane!