Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mama Bear

So most of you know I am a mama bear when it comes to my children being hurt or threatened. Nothing gets me more riled up than when someone has treated my child unfairly or hurt them. So today Hunter was riding his bike up and down the street. He does this everyday for awhile and stays right on our street. So I get a phone call, not 5 minutes after he left, from a neighbor that thought he may have seen some big kids picking on Hunter. I quickly hang up and dash out the door as he rides up a little disheveled and upset. ( Calm down Amy it may be a misunderstanding.) No! He tells me some big boys choked him and hit him in the head and chased him. He spit at them and dashed away. Hunter doesn't really dash away that fast, he is still getting use to his big bike. So I get the kids in the car, drop the neighbor kid off (I don't want her a part of what could happen) and I go screaming down the street after these kids. My neighbor yells at me to slow down, seriously I was going like 25 and my sons aggressors were at large. So I am going down main street just as this group of punks meanders into the road. I slam on my breaks and start yelling at them. They think I am a lunatic as I threaten to call the police if they ever touch my child again. Of course they want to act cool so they yell back crap at me but I am relentless in my attack on their character. They were at least 16 and there were 4 boys and three girls. As cars lined up behind me I had to move on but let me tell you, if I ever see them again on my street (and Jerry is home) we will have some more words with them. What teenager tries to hurt a 7 year old minding his own business. If anything Hunter said hi and wanted to be friends. He is the mostly friendly, unshy child I know. So while you just got the edited version, poor Jerry heard profanities that I haven't used since I was a teenager, yikes! The Elders (who live with us) thought it was funny that I used such colorful language but offered to take their name tags off and back me up if it ever happens again, thanks guys. Do I have to keep my children hidden inside to protect them? I won't keep them from enjoying life because there are punks in the world. I just have to pray that the Lord is protecting them in everything they do.

5 comments:

Lórien said...

AMY - WHAT?!? You call me next time, not that I am terribly close to your house. But still. NO ONE needs to be picking on kids, especially some stupid teenagers! I am so sorry. I had only a glimpse of that today. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I was ready to lose my cool and it wasn't going to be pretty.
It is so hard with kids. You want to protect them. There's nothing wrong with being the Mama Bear.

Rarrrrrrrrr!!!! :-)

Chris said...

SERIOUSLY...Stone was "choked" by a child 2-3 years older than him at the park behind our home but they all were kids who knew each other from school and when we found out about it we sure as hell knew where to find his parents! sometimes it really is scary how fast things are seeming to decline in our society as a whole. Out of five teenagers no one stood up for a seven year old who no matter what he was or wasnt doing shouldnt have been able to spark up such a responce in someone so much his elder. Speaking of Elders ...that was hilarious! I can see them now...ripping off their badges, chucking them across the room, and running in their suits to your defence...I love it!

Amy said...

Thanks guys, I hoped I wasn't over reacting. And I hope Hanna can recover from her constant attacks today too. Rarrrr!!! Is right!

Michelle said...

After hearing you guys talk about it, I had to come read your story. I have to admit I would react the exact same way...in either situation! There is nothing wrong with watching out for your kids!!

Ana said...

I would have bet my money on you for sure!! (Even the Elders I am sure) Way to go Amy...show those Delaware hoodelems what loving mothers are made off. Maybe you should get a sign up in your neighborhood. Instead of neighborhood watch...it should say "Beware of Mama Bear attacks".
Love you! BFF.